Chasing Festivals: Moriones Festival, Marinduque

by - Wednesday, April 18, 2018





I promise myself that after visiting all the provinces in the Philippines I will attend all the festivals that we have. But Moriones is definitely an exception. Of all the festival in the Philippines, Moriones is the top on my list, there's something about it that I want to see. And it happens only during Holy Week. 




Last year, when I visited Maniwaya Island during Holy Week, it was spontaneous honestly, and since I am just alone I decided to go to the other side of the island and see Moriones, after all, I'm already in Marinduque.






--------------------------------------------------
Book your trip with Booking.com! It's safe and can guarantee low price!
--------------------------------------------------














My quest for Moriones is funny in a sense that I really don't have any itinerary nor any idea where it will took place. All I know is that I really wanted to see it. Arriving at Sta. Cruz, I learned that, big event or the main event of Moriones usually took place during Maundy Thursday, since its just Holy Wednesday I will only see a partial of the main event but the parade took almost every town in Marinduque.




Arriving really from my 6 am boat ride to Sta. Cruz, the parade schedule is later the day and I need to catch the public ferry going back to Quezon so I need to see them immediately if I want to catch a trip back home.




 



 



 



 



I roam every city and finally at Boac I saw a parade. It was an unexplainable feeling, surreal, really. Finally, after years of waiting right in front of my eyes I am seeing them. There's passion in what they do and not just the elders but also the devotion of the younger people attending and being part of the parade and this one of a kind tradition. Truly, Philippines has a lot more than just nature landscapes and everything to that, but rich in culture and tradition and devotion to their religion.


    










    




 





     














You May Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for the wonderful message!